Thursday, August 6, 2009

big ol' vat of rice

A while ago I'd bought 3 bags of Trader Joe's vegan Indian basmati rice (ok, not sure that's what it's called, but that's what it is) and the last one has been sitting in the freezer for some time now.

The rice consists of saffron rice (I think, it's yellow), raisins (which I take out, yick, always hated raisins), peas, chopped red bell peppers, and onions.

Tonight I made some potato baked chips (non-stick pan, sprinkle with garlic salt and Mrs. Dash, bake for some minutes in oven) and chopped up the left over potato (it was a really big one) and nuked it in a casserole. I added chopped zucchini, chickpeas, small can chopped tomatoes with chilies, and also some sauteed spinach (in water with a little garlic salt.)

All together it's a bit spicy (from the canned tomato-chilies) but very yummy and filling. So many complimentary flavors. Mmmmmmm.

I'm not sure what to call it but I'm pretty happy with it. It's one of those left-over, what's-around-the-house kinda meals that actually worked out well. Except the spinach, potato, zucchini, and tomatoes with chilies weren't leftovers, I went out and bought them for this dish. But whatev. Same difference.

No comments: